Monday, January 24, 2011

* Sparkle Shoes *

     There I stood….in the shoe section of a local department store…facing my greatest temptation of the week….sparkle shoes.  Now these weren’t just slightly sparkly.  No.  These were covered….covered….in glitter!  Multi-colored glitter covered pumps….with 5 inch heels…and a platform at the base which was, you guessed it, covered in glitter!  A kaleidoscope of purples, silvers, grays, pinks & whites held my attention.  “Size 8, please,” I said hopefully to the sales gal.  She returned with a shiny purple box.  “I only have a 9,” she replied.  I tried to act casual.  “Oh that’s OK…I’ll just try them on,” I retorted.  
     Now, I was wearing my black fuzzy socks.  You know the kind, you them wear when it’s freezing outside and you want to feel a bit pampered.   Hmmmm….oh well….I pulled the glorious glitter pumps out and put them on anyway.  Fabulous!!!  Fantastic!!!  Oh I really loved them!  I walked around.  Women everywhere were commenting.  “Wow!”  “Beautiful!”  “I love those!”  “Where did you find those?”  I knew.  They had that something special. 
     Now it just so happened that it was my birthday that day.  I planned to go out with my husband and a few friends that evening to celebrate.  It was definitely the perfect time to wear sparkle shoes-birthday shoes!  I had the sales gal hold them for me….just in case. 
     As I pondered the purchase of these impractical, spike-heeled, glittery shoes, I glanced outside.  It was about -20 degrees, the wind was blowing hard and it was starting to snow.  The parking lot was filled with piles of dirty slush and cars slid by on icy patches, spraying bits of dirt and grime up on the people who walked by.  I sighed.  I couldn’t do it.  I couldn’t put those shoes through that kind of torture.  To be made to skid and slop through such muck.  To become covered in snow….frozen…then simply stomped on to remove the mess.  To be….oh dear…dirty & dull!  No.  Besides, they wouldn’t truly fit me unless I wore those thick, fuzzy black socks.  They were too big!  They deserved much better than that.
      I returned to the sales gal and told her to put them away on a safe, warm shelf in their purple, shiny box. I walked away.   
     Maybe someday I’ll find those glittery shoes…in my size…and I'll buy them!  Maybe you’ll get to see them.  Until then, I'll remember them fondly.  They were...and are…quite spectacular! :)   
     So am I being vain to admire and desire fancy shoes?  I don't know!  It's fun  to try something a little different...a little wild...a little glittery.  I love to be a woman!  Women are beautiful!  We have so many wonderful gifts.  We nurture, love, support, pray, give, encourage, praise, and uplift others.  We smell nice, we smile, we giggle, we are colorful and somewhat unpredictable. How fun!  I think even a Proverbs 31 woman would dare to wear spiky purple glitter shoes.  Why not?  In fact, here are some bejeweled verses...about rubies and fine linen...and purple! 
     Proverbs 31:10-11"A wife of noble character who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.  Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.      
       v. 21-22 When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.  She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple."    
     I think that's a good start.  (You can read all of Proverbs 31 if you like.)  I know I don't live up to the ideal Proverbs 31 woman...yet...but that's ok!  I'm a work in progress!  So are you!   I hope you know how beautiful you are.  God loves the way he created you.  You are a beauty...a gem...more dazzling than a sky full of stars!  May you embrace that inner and outer loveliness He bestowed on you.  Hey, and if you feel like walking around in some glittery high heels, do it!  It's kinda super fun! :)



1 comment:

  1. Sparkly Shoes reminds me of frilly dresses. You dare not wear them many places but when you do, it is so much fun!
    Zoiey

    ReplyDelete